Wednesday 3 June 2015

Normal Service Resumed

Week Seven - 79 Days to Go

First post in a while after an enforced absence - last week was a mandated recovery week, which meant less running. Handily this was a good thing as on Monday I sat my first and only exam for my Masters this year. Having not had the pleasure of a written exam for about 13 years, it was a fairly terrifying experience - compounded by the fact it all took place in an old gym which gave me flashbacks to my GCSEs!

Anyway, out of the way now so nothing else to occupy my spare time apart from training and rehearsals for my stage debut (here on the 6th July). Yesterday I went out and managed a five mile threshold run along the canal. As per usual, I was for too quick - which made for an undignified spectacle on the last mile. Even more concerning was that the five miles finished just by a children's play area - the one place you shouldn't really stand around panting and sweating profusely....

Tonight was my now customary run home from work, and as is now also customary the weather was very pleasant. It was so nice (and to be honest I felt in such good shape) that I added an extra mile and a bit on the end to make a half marathon distance. The pace was pretty consistent, save for the inevitable road crossings and having to negotiate a small army of ducks in Highbury Park. It seems the recovery week has done the trick, so far 'The Plan' is doing the business.

The next few days are planned to be easy runs, building for the weekend. For reasons I can't really remember, I've entered a 10k race in Worcester on Sunday morning. However, I think that I may be giving it a miss - although I think I'm in the kind of shape for a sub-40 minute time, it probably won't be any use for the training regime which calls for a 18-plus run on the Sunday. Besides, the Droitwich 10k is booked in for a few weeks time. Hopefully post-marathon I can reap the benefits of the training and post some quick times over the shorter distances.

Poor choice of words for a blog about marathon training but best not to walk before you can run!

No comments:

Post a Comment