Wednesday 20 May 2015

"Crisis? What Crisis?"

Week Five - 93 Days to Go

Although willing to be proved wrong, it seems my fears at the back end of last week may have been misplaced. The two runs so far this week have been great, with a surprisingly good showing tonight at the Hagley 10k. I don't think that I'm psychologically cut out for running - being one of life's natural pessimists added to the inevitable niggles that come from training leaves me thinking that I am permanently on the verge of falling apart...

Anyway, back to tonight and the first race of the Worcestershire Midweek Series. I had wanted to try this last year but it sadly didn't fit in with my marathon training. This year however I thought that a few Wednesday night races would break up the training monotony so travelled over to Hagley for the first event.

I  must admit, it is a nice part of the world. Seemingly quiet and rural it reminds me a bit of home - albeit infinitely more hilly. The race was two laps over mainly bridle paths utilising parts of the Stourbridge Stagger/Stumble course. Armed with some inside knowledge that the best option at the start was to go hell for leather due to the race quickly turning left onto a narrow path, I was initially worried that I'd be able to maintain the pace. I think familiarity with part of the course helped and as I finished the first lap in just over 20 minutes started to focus on ensuring that I was the first Bournville finisher.

Lap two was certainly tougher, with the field spread out there were fewer opportunities to catch your breath behind a slower runner on the single file parts and the long uphill sandy section had been significantly churned up. Nevertheless, I managed to weather the storm and after engaging in a futile battle with a much quicker runner, crossed the line in 40:14.

My initial delight and slight confusion in seemingly almost running a 10k PB on a multi-terrain course was soon halted when I realised that the race was about .15 of a mile short of the full distance. That said, despite not admitting to any obsessive qualities, I later worked out what the time would have been over the full distance and it would easily have knocked a minute off my best multi-terrain time.

So overall, a pleasing couple of days training wise. I wish the same could be said for work - a 10-6 shift tomorrow will hopefully allow me to get back for training at the club barring any traffic madness. Based on my last late finish on club night however, I may be lucky to make it back before nightfall...

No comments:

Post a Comment