Sunday 3 May 2015

The Sheriffhales Shuffle

110 Days to Go

As promised, a reasonably quiet weekend - except for the frantic dash to complete all my outstanding chores. There was at least the cathartic release of returning an enormous selections of books to the library having finished my last outstanding essay (although it was slightly dampened by having to then take out another selection to assist with revision for next month's exam!)

Whilst Saturday was quiet, Sunday meant another reasonably early dash out to darkest Shropshire to run the Sheriffhales Shuffle, which was the second race of the Fourmidables Series which I signed up for almost on a whim due to the faint promise of personal glory.

The weather was terrible when I woke up and as I drove up the M6 I thought of those club mates who had paid the extortionate sum of £25 to run the Birmingham 10k in the pouring rain and no chance of a decent time. Thankfully for me, the rain stopped as I entered more rural climes and by the time I'd parked up, the first hint of blue sky could be seen.

The race itself was 7 mile of multi-terrain and like all multi-terrain races, the Shuffle started with a nice easy part to lull you into a false sense of security - in this case a half mile section along a road before heading straight into fields and a steady uneven climb that really spread the the competition out. Soon we were thankfully back on firmer ground and heading through the middle of the Lilleshall complex (worryingly with an archery competition in full effect) followed by a long descent along the road which helped to get the breath back.

After about four miles I realised that one runner was making a concerted effort to catch me and by about four and a half was very inconsiderately trying to slipstream me as we started the second big climb. I moved to one side to force him past, so as we forded the hill and turned back onto the road we were effectively level. It was then I realised to my delight that he had effectively used all his energy reaching me, allowing me to push back past him as we reached the six mile marker.

The final mile was either downhill or flat and I knew the chap wasn't going to get back at me. Looking back later, the final mile was 6:15 which bodes well for future weeks. In the end I finished tenth in 48:58, averaging just under seven minute miles. Sadly, my plans for Senior Male glory in the series looked to have been scuppered by an inconsiderately quick sod who appears to have decided to enter the whole series. Oh well, at least I'll never be short of towels at this rate..


Although 'The Plan' wasn't exactly followed today - I was supposed to do 14 miles with seven at marathon pace, seeing as the Shuffle was just about 7 miles I can probably ignore the warm-up and just count the race as sufficient effort. That said, nagging doubts mean that I may take advantage of tomorrow's Bank Holiday to do a long run....

No comments:

Post a Comment