Wednesday 19 August 2015

Point of Departure

Three Days to Go

I'm writing this when I really should be sleeping, although I know that I won't be able to. Mainly because I'll be lying awake thinking of things I should be packing, or how I'm going to fall foul of the increasingly draconian baggage allowances.

Tomorrow I fly to Reykjavik so it's all over now bar the shouting. Just three simple tasks for the day:

1) Catch flight
2) Get to hotel (fingers crossed the online booking worked...)
3) Pick up race number from the Expo (assuming again that I can find it)

After that, it's sightseeing for a day and a half before an early night ready for the race.

Running has essentially stopped now until Saturday. I went out at club on Monday and did 6 and a half at 8 minute mile pace - probably the slowest of the entire training cycle, but necessary. I ran with a new member who recently ran his first marathon in 2:47, which puts things into perspective! Lots of support from friends which has helped calm the nerves - although the suggestion from one that I would run 2:55 didn't really help. The natural pessimist in me is now in full effect. 

There hasn't been any other running, 'The Plan' mentions a few short ones but I decided to deviate as before my last marathon I found doing almost nothing in the week before was the best policy. I did go to the gym tonight to try and burn off some nervous energy though.

Well that's it. I'll try and post something, wi-fi permitting, but if not my thoughts will have to wait until post-race.

I'll see you on the other side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment