Sunday 16 August 2015

The Event Horizon..

6 Days to Go

There was a time not too long ago when the thought of a 12 mile run of a Sunday morning would fill me with dread. Now, as I enter the last week of this training programme, it's a blessed relief. I thought that the old faithful route along the Rea Valley would be a nice change - before the marathon I used to   do it practically every week, nowadays I can't remember the last time I ran the whole way up to Northfield and back.

EDIT: According to the oracle that is Strava, it was at the end of March and I was twenty seconds faster than today. Ordinarily I'd be worried - but I hadn't had four months of 40-plus mile weeks back then. Actually, any excuse to be worried...

So that's just about it for the training. Next week is race week so Monday's club run will be little more than an exercise in calming the nerves, then a mandated session on Wednesday with a couple of miles at race pace before I put myself in the hands of Icelandair.

I've checked the weather and, barring a potential for showers on the day, conditions look damn near perfect. Training has gone about as well as it could. Even a natural pessimist like myself is struggling to find many negatives in the build-up.

Starting to get very nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment