Sunday 2 August 2015

Peak Performance

20 Days to Go

Made it! I'll be honest and admit that there were a few points over the last few weeks when I genuinely thought that I wouldn't, but today marked both the heaviest week in terms of mileage and the end of the hard weeks of training. From now on, it's tapering all the way.

A final 20 mile run was the order of the day, again along the canal into town before looping back through Summerfield Park - an unusual choice admittedly, but it did mean I could add another tick to my owl spotting list. Overall, it was a bit slower than previous weeks but that is probably due to deliberately trying to run the first few miles a bit slower so that I wasn't absolutely exhausted by the end. Unsurprisingly this didn't work.

Daft tactics aside, I still made it in a decent time and could reward myself with a big lunch and the knowledge that the next few weeks will involve progressively less running leading up to the big day. Of course the running will now be replaced by increasing levels of introspection. Have I put in enough training? Did I do it at the right pace? 

In the end, all this is entirely meaningless. There are only so many hours in the day and I'm pretty sure that I've spent far too many of them running in the last few weeks to the detriment of other activity. Ultimately, I've done as much training as I can. We shall see in a few weeks if it's enough...

That said, to stop myself going slightly bonkers through second guessing myself, 'The Plan' recommends a 10k race next week to clear the head. Handily, that fits in with the Stourbridge Stagger so a Saturday evening out beckons. 

Before that, I have to content with a new broom at work as our new boss starts in post tomorrow. I sense some meaningless charts in the offing...

No comments:

Post a Comment