Friday 10 July 2015

Getting the Monkey off your back...

42 Days to Go

It's getting closer. Just as Monday's play became a horribly tangible reality a few weeks ago, so the Marathon begins to loom ever larger. I was shocked at work today when I looked and saw that the race is now only seven weeks away.

Luckily today has been a successful, if busy one. The play was absolutely amazing, fluffed lines and missed queues aside (to be honest, no-one in the audience really noticed). Hopefully we will be doing something else as a group - I've even embraced the modern world and joined a WhatsApp group with some of them! Handily, the proposed day for more acting shenanigans is Wednesday - which means that I can finally return to Bournville for both club training sessions!

Another big milestone reached this week, with my first proper sub-40 minute 10k race at Droitwich for the third Worcestershire Midweek Series event. To say I was surprised is a bit of an understatement, particularly after I only remembered about the race on the morning. I also didn't have the best warm-up with the longest jog from the car park to the start that I've ever seen and a course that was a lot more undulating than advertised. Despite this, I managed to drag myself round in a great time - probably spurred on by the approaching Bournville pack and a man who appeared to be twice my age!

After a first ever Yoga session at the club last night (which taught me two things - I don't stretch enough, and that yoga bloody hurts) and a dash out after work tonight, I'm set fair for the weekend. Unfortunately this means two days of work and what is down in the schedule as the longest run of the whole training programme! Assuming I make it to Monday morning in one piece, I think I'll be in a good position to place a time estimate for the big day - especially with the last big warm-up race in the diary for next weekend. 

As an extra bonus, I'll be likely in so much pain come Monday from all this running that it might distract me from the meeting scheduled for the afternoon to finally reveal the future details of my employment. Bad news can always be digested much easier with lactic acid build-up...

No comments:

Post a Comment