Saturday 4 July 2015

The heat is on...

48 Days to Go

Blimey, it's been hot!

I managed 13 miles home from work on Tuesday evening after deciding it was likely to be the coolest  evening this week - that said, I still managed to down a litre bottle of water on the way back. Just as well, otherwise it would have been a particularly unpleasant experience. Wednesday was supposed to be a VO2 max workout, but a combination of the hottest day of the year and final rehearsals for the stage debut (Tickets still available) rather sensibly put paid to that.

After a nice strength workout at club on Thursday, and a quick blast on Friday, the stage was set for the Birmingham Black Country Half Marathon on Saturday. It's a straight point to point along the canal from Wolverhampton back to Brum with the flat terrain pretty similar to Reykjavik so a decent choice for a tune up race.

My plan was to try and maintain slightly quicker than the planned marathon pace - which with the temperature in the mid twenties was going to easier said than done. When I signed up for the race, I was mindful that previous years have seen the race extended to about 14 miles due to a repair enforced detour, so set a conservative estimated time in anticipation. As it happened, the canal was now fully fixed so the race was back to the right distance but my estimated time was useful as it gave me a constant stream of people to run at.

The race was tough in the conditions, but I consoled myself with the knowledge that the marathon in eight weeks will be run in temperatures at best half of what they were today. My overall time of 1:30:58 was pleasing as well - it meant that I was slightly quicker than marathon pace as intended. The mileage was pretty consistent as well, with most within five seconds of each other. The only outlier was the one involving running through the infamous canal tunnel at Coseley. 300m in the murky darkness is faintly terrifying.

So just a long run to brave tomorrow and then another week of training ticked off. My reward in the evening will be a trip to gig for the first time in months and then the play on Monday. Having a social life again following the Uni course is taking some getting used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment